Week Three: Camera Basics Course Discussion

As you watch Camera Basics, feel free to engage in conversation with the group here. Please limit conversation here to the course topic.

Sue will go LIVE on Tuesday, August 20th at 12PM PST to coach the group and answer questions. You can watch the live HERE

If you want to have off-topic discussions, please go to the Week Three lounge .

If you have a question for Sue, please use the tag @Sue1

If you have any other questions, tag @Ella_Ketzner or @nikki

If you are having trouble using this forum or have other questions regarding 12 Week Startup, check out our FAQ

If you haven’t reviewed the Rules of the forum, check them out here

4 Likes

@Sue1 hopefully this is the right spot to post this. So I was told for boudoir photography I should Custom White Balance my camera and Sue is saying (I think) to go ahead and leave it on AWB correct? Or neutral in camera settings? Is this a fine idea for those who are doing same day in person sales or would this add a lot more time to try to color correct? Thanks!

1 Like

I have a Canon 5D3 and I’m watching the video using such slow shutter speeds and I can’t get bellow 1/100th of a second without issue. I have been way too heavy of a coffee drinker for so long I physically cannot sit still. With that, what is everyone’s opinion on using a tripod for portraits?

2 Likes

@hannah37 in my experience changing white balance in lightroom only takes a moment if you are shooting in RAW. You just select a profile or drag a slider until it looks how you want it.

3 Likes

Try it and see how you like it! I only ever use auto white balance and same with Sue.

2 Likes

Use a tripod or introduce lights into your photography. In my opinion the better choice.

3 Likes

@Ella_Ketzner was there a QnA this week for week 3 camera basics?

Thank you.

Kelly

Ok please disregard I have received an email telling us it will be added shortly at the bottom of week 3. Sorry @Ella_Ketzner.

2 Likes

Question about Metering - I think I heard @sue1 say she uses Evaluative Metering. Is that correct? I always used Spot or Center-Wtd. Is this for studio only or does she also used Eval for outdoor shoots. Thank you!

1 Like

Hi Kelly,

It’s okay! We had technical difficulties with the LIVE yesterday (Tuesday) so it will now be happening tomorrowat 12PM PST.

2 Likes

I believe she keeps it the same. The best thing you can do is try it out to see what works best for you!

1 Like

Thx Nikki,
I realize the best thing is to try it myself.

i was hoping to get a better understanding of why evaluative is better, so i can look for those things in making my own decision.

It just like - why use f2.8 or why AWB or why toggle. Trying to understand my 5d3. Maybe it doesn’t make much of a difference??

Btw, What are you using?

Thx
Teresa

1 Like

Felix Kunze seems to use a tripod in a lot of his studio work, though maybe that is just for his educational videos. I do see a lot of pros using one for portraits so you would definitely not be in the minority. Check out some photographers you like and see how they shoot, try it and see how you like it. Let us know how it goes!

3 Likes

Can anyone explain how to back button focus on the back of a Nikon D800? I have tried clicking my shutter button half way down and trying to move the point with the up/down left/right wheel. I have tried not using the shutter button and only pressing the AF-ON button on the back of the camera but I can’t seem to move the focus point. How do you do it?

1 Like

Sue spoke about when photographing a moving child, the shutter speed should be at 250 to 500. But what happens when your monolights don’t allow you to shoot with anymore than 125 shutter speed otherwise it puts the black bars across your images. What do you do then?

1 Like

Sue was referring to shooting in natural light.

2 Likes

Hi there,

With flash, although you need to keep synch speed of your shutter , the flash light actually lights up for less than the synch speed itself, therefore you should not have any troubles freezing the motion, especially if you are using low power (the flash lits up with the same power, just the duration is shorter for lower power settings), aperture is a diffrent story as you need to shoot tighter to not have oof images.

1 Like

I’m just not that technical and don’t spend a whole lot of time trying to figure out the whys and how’s. I play around, find something I like and stick to it. Evaluative is what I tested and liked way back when, so that’s what I do. Is it the right way? Couldn’t tell you! It just works for me.

3 Likes

ok, thanks Nikki! I was asking b/c I heard Sue say that and I tried and I actually really liked it. I was shooting newborns a lot and was told to always use spot metering, so I was wondering if it depends on the situation. I guess I’ll find out. :astonished:

1 Like

Question for @sue1

I’ve noticed a bit of banding in a handful of my portraits when photographing in natural light against a black painted polyboard. Is there a way to eliminate this in camera to avoid frustration in post production?

I’d have to pull the images in question - but I know that prior to the refresher of camera basics I was trying to avoid upping my ISO and was opening up my aperture and using all natural light.

1 Like